You have heard about affiliate marketing and need to know how to join affiliate marketing programs? Your friends have talked about it and it sounds like a good deal. Much better than working a traditional 9 to 5 job. Now you are interested to see if this is your calling.
Signing up at an affiliate marketplace is not that difficult. All you have to do is continue to read our article. We will be giving you the information you need to know to sign up and start your new career.
Also, we will include other valuable information to help you along your way. Doing affiliate marketing is a legitimate way of earning extra income and has the potential of turning into a lucrative career path.
This Course Helped Me Create This Website & Make My First Sale.
If you are interested in the same, I can highly recommend giving it a free try.
Why Do People Become Affiliate Marketers
Everyone has their own reasons why they take the leap into affiliate marketing. Some have extra time on their hands, others want a second income, while more just enjoy selling.
Here are some of the reasons people like you sign up with affiliate marketing:
- Freedom - you get to sleep in or wake up early. You do affiliate marketing on your terms.
- Maintain your routine - you may like how your morning goes and want to keep it that way. Affiliate marketing allows you to do that.
- Work on your computer - instead of going to an office, you can use your computer in your home and have complete privacy.
- Work when you want - you get to create your own schedule that works for you and fits your lifestyle.
- No overtime - unless you really want it. You can spend more time with your family as an affiliate marketer.
- Take time off - if you do not feel like working, you can go to the beach, the museum, the park or have an early date. You spend your days your way.
- Get the rest you want - you can schedule in those lost sleep hours you wanted to make up.
Is Affiliate Marketing Easy
Before we get to discussing how to join affiliate marketing, we should discuss this topic. There is no sense leaping into something without knowing the whole story. The ads make it sound like the perfect business and to some it is but it is not for many.
Why is that so? Because affiliate marketing is not that easy. If it was easy everyone would be doing it. Affiliate marketing is tough and it can be hard. Basically, it is a skill you need to learn and continue to develop.
It takes time to master and get all the strategies implemented at the right time. Plus, you need to know when to stand and when to be flexible. No, it is not easy but it is worth it. You should get some sense of worth because it is a business venture you are building.
Learn how to get paid in affiliate marketing in our post.
One of the keys to mastering affiliate marketing is to learn that you will never know everything. Know it alls have a lot of trouble and fail to take the right advice when they need it.
Understanding that there is always something to learn will help make you a good affiliate marketer.
How To Join Affiliate Marketing Programs - Step 1
Why do people sign up for affiliate marketing programs? One reason we did not discuss above is that they want to make money. There is nothing wrong about making money but if you focus solely on that aspect, you won’t be any good at affiliate marketing.
The first thing you should know about signing up is that the best programs, especially for beginners, are free to sign up. Usually, these companies have no obligation even after you sign up and for some reason you change your mind.
The second thing you need to know, is that these companies have done their research and constructed easy to use platforms. You do not have to be a genius to operate their dashboards or interfaces.
The third thing you should know that most of the affiliate marketing programs have good commissions systems. Not all do but most. Before you sign up, make sure you can live with the commission rates offered by the program. You may have to do a little research here to make sure you get that program set up right.
How To Join Affiliate Marketing Programs - Step 2
It is really not that difficult to set up an account at an affiliate market place. We will use Wealthy Affiliate as our guide for this section, because it is free to join and they offer free training to get you started .
Each affiliate marketplace has their own system of signing up but they remain basically similar in the important stages.
- You fill out the form with your e-mail address, name, username and so on.
- A pop up window appears after you push the create account button. For this example it is offering to take you on a tour so you become familiar with everything. You can skip it if you want.
- Now you have to start making choices. Wealthy Affiliates has 2 videos you need to watch before going to the next step.
- Once you have viewed those videos, you have 4 tasks to complete so you understand how to make money online.
- After that you need to choose your niche. 2 tasks to complete here.
- Now when this is complete, you have to build your website. Don’t worry WA helps you with that.
- The next 2 steps are setting up your website and getting it ready for search engines.
- Now the hard part. You have to start creating great content to put on your website.
- With that chore completed, you now create your menu buttons so people can find your content and your ads.
- Here is where you learn about keywords. Keywords are vital to your ranking and helps drive traffic to your door.
- The last step just says congratulations and offers you 3 more tasks to do.
That is how you sign up at Wealthy Affiliate. Other affiliate programs may not be as detailed as WA but at least you get the picture of what you are required to do to become an affiliate marketer.
Other Good Affiliate Programs For Beginners
Besides Wealthy Affiliate, there are a few programs out there that are just right for those starting out in this new career.
- The Amazon Associates Program - The good thing about this program is that everyone knows the name Amazon, You have a very popular and credible company to start your affiliate career. Plus, you have more than enough products to represent and the good news is that you can make commissions on every product they have listed. The only drawback is that those commissions are not very high. All are under 10% and many go as low as 4%. To make money here, you would have to depend on volume sales. Also, you have plenty of articles ready to help you get started
- The ShareASale Affiliate Network - to get started on this platform all you have to do is a little search to find a merchant that is selling a product that fits your niche. The commission rates vary and depends on the product you are representing. Some commissions reach as high as 80%. It is up to you to do your research to find the right product with a healthy commission rate to work with, Neither Amazon or this program uses Pay Pal to send you your money. You will have to select a different payment method to receive your funds.
- ClickBank - A lot of people have made money through this affiliate platform but that is because it is one of the oldest affiliate platforms out there. They have also made a lot of changes to the company’s structure improving your affiliate experience immensely. You will have to explore their website to find out their commission rates. For beginners it seems to be a very good place to start and learn the business. After all you have to start somewhere and going with a popular program that has been around for some time is a good way to get your feet wet in the business.
Understanding Affiliate Marketing
A lot of people question if this business model is legitimate or not. They have experienced or heard about similar programs that were nothing but a scam that took honest people’s money.
One thing you need to know is that this is not a pyramid scheme. You do not sign up dealers who pay a portion of their sales to you. In turn you do not pay a portion of your sales to someone who signed you up.
All your commissions are your to keep. This makes affiliate marketing far more enjoyable. Also, while there are bad products and vendors who enter these marketplaces, you can learn how to spot and avoid them.
Then, affiliate marketing is not a get rich quick scheme. You are not being told you will make tons of money over night. You are told that it will take time to build your business, it takes business and Internet skills and a lot more. While it is easy to do, it is not easy to be a success at affiliate marketing.
If you want to put it into very simple terms that are very easy to understand, think of a department store or car salesman. This is what you are doing. You are a salesman for a merchant who pays you a little money for helping to sell their product(s).
Picture a department store salesman. He represents the products that are for sale in his store. He does not own them but tries to get you to buy them. When he is successful, then the store pays him a salary or a commission.
Then look at a car salesman, who represents one brand (niche) of cars. He may be a Rolls Royce salesman but he is not a Volkswagen salesman. In other words, his niche is restricted to the type of car he sells. He does not run all over the city trying to sell different brands of cars. He stays in his niche and sells the car he likes and knows best.
That is how you should understand affiliate marketing. You find your niche, do not spread yourself too thin and you stick with what you are passionate about and know. The main difference is you may not have direct contact with your potential customers. They may only read your content and click on your ad.
There is also no negotiating between you, the customer and the sales manager. The price is the price and that is it.
Why Should You Give Affiliate Marketing A Try?
That is the question you have to answer. You may like your current career or job and do not want to leave it. That is okay as you can use affiliate marketing as a source for a second income to help you get life’s little extras you have always dreamed about.
Here are some reasons why you should sign become an affiliate marketer:
- You can earn retirement money - the extra income will pad your retirement making it a lot easier and more enjoyable.
- You can learn how to be an entrepreneur - you add to your talents and expand yourself.
- Change your lifestyle - instead of pinching pennies you can expand your budget and buy those items you would like to have or take that once in a lifetime vacation
- You get to control your affairs- instead of having a boss tell you what to do or have your job at risk, you stay in control and protect your employment.
- You get a little more freedom - whether it is loosening up your time schedule or being able to get away when you want, being an affiliate marketer helps you gain some personal freedom.
You Can Help People
You may have thought we ran out of reasons why you should sign up with an affiliate marketing program. Not quite, even though sign up is free and easy, you can make money and get a lot of personal freedom.
There is still another good reason to sign up and become an affiliate marketer. Here it is:
You Can Help People!
You may not be interested in making lots of money or motivated by the other reasons to sign up but helping people may be the one reason that makes joining an affiliate marketing program all worthwhile.
There are three ways to help people through your affiliate marketing business:
- Through the products you select to represent - You can help people learn that those products exist and show them how they will improve their lives or make things a little easier for them.
- Through the services you represent - there are a lot of good services being advertised on the Internet. Sadly, a majority of people do not know about them. You can help bring those services to their attention, or help them get the help they need.
- Through your content - you can write about how a product or service helped you and let them know why. Then you can give them more details on the topic and help them learn something new.
Working in the affiliate marketing business does not have to be all about money. You can do good work through your website and feel good about yourself. Plus, you can bring valuable information to people who may not otherwise know about the product, service or what it can do for them.
You do not have to be greedy to be an affiliate marketer. But you do need to know something about the product and the service you are promoting. The fastest way to shoot yourself in the foot and ruin your affiliate marketing business is to not know what you are talking about.
This means you may need to do some research so you have something valuable to say to your readers.
My Number 1 Affiliate Marketing Program
There was a reason why we used Wealthy Affiliate as our example earlier in this article. We like it. It is a good program and the people running the show are talented. They have helped over 1 1/2 million affiliates just like you.
With their expertise, advice and strategies, along with their in house website offers, you can easily become a solid affiliate marketer. Part of their strategy is to offer you a lot of training and education.
This means you do not have to do it all yourself. You will have help and you can still earn as you learn. Plus, you get access to those tools you need to make your website work and get higher rankings.
That is what makes Wealthy Affiliate such a great affiliate program. They stand with you every step of the way and make sure you have the help you need when you have a problem or two. You always go with the best, to get the best result.
Thank you for reading.
Let me know in the comments below your thoughts about this affiliate program.