You may have heard the term but are not sure what domain authority is all about. After all, there are a lot of technical terms that you need to get used to and know what they mean as well as how they apply to your website.
Domain authority is actually not a new term but it does play a significant role in yours and your website’s life. To find out all about domain authority, just keep reading our article. It has the information you need to know.
What Is Domain Authority
This is a metric designed by Moz to help them rate and rank your website. The company uses a score of 1 to 100 with the latter figure being the highest and best score possible.
Like other SEO ratings, the better the domain authority rating the higher your website should rank. According to Moz, they use a logarithmic scale to judge different websites.
This scale is easier to move up when your website has a lower score. For example if your website ranks about 20, it is far easier to move up to 30 than it is to move from about 70 to 80 or higher.
When your website gets a higher score, it will have its work cut out for it to reach that important 100 point level.
What Makes A Good Domain Authority Website
If you have created a new website, the scale automatically starts you off at the lowest end of the scale. You get a 1 and have to work your way up the ladder. You do this by having a lot of quality external links on your website.
If you have a low number of inbound links, then it is most likely your score will appear lower than you would expect. But Moz tries to downplay the role of domain authority and say it is for comparative value only.
They also say that there is no real good or bad domain authority score. But that is hard to fathom when the domain authority checks the total authority of your website and not just the links to and from it.
How To Check Your Domain Authority Score
It is a lot easier than you may think to check your website domain authority score. The Internet is filled with different websites that will help you do the checking. But if you want the results straight from the horse’s mouth, you can go to the Moz website and do it.
All you have to do is type in your domain address, or the addresses of your sub domains and the score should appear promptly. The link to their website can be found at this location.
It also seems that both Chrome and Firefox browsers have a special section where you can place the MozBar extension and check your website’s score or any web page’s score. As we said, it is not a difficult task to perform.
How To Improve Your Domain Authority
The good news is that if you have a low domain authority score you have the opportunity to correct it and move it on up the scale. But the one thing you should be wary of is that trying to outrank top domain authority websites is next to impossible.
There are two ways you can improve your Domain Authority score. The first is to concentrate on the quality of links you have on your website. That includes having other websites mention yours.
The second way is to increase the domain authority of your blog. Now there are several steps involved to help you accomplish both.
- Watch your expiry date - the closer your website is to expiring the less Moz trusts it. If you have a year or less to go, it would be helpful to you and your website to extend it up to 4 to 5 more years.
- Backlinks are key - try to get as many backlinks as possible to your website. The more you have the better you will be. But, and it is a big but, those links must be from quality websites or you may not see any improvement in your score.
- Don’t put your links in one basket - the more diverse those backlinks are the better it is for you. The links should come from relevant and high quality sources but they should not be interconnected. You want variety not the same thing over and over.
- Link to your own web pages - the recommended amount is about 2 or 3 links per post. Those links should go from new post to new post or old to new posts or new to old posts. The more you do internal links the better it is for your website total score.
- Take out bad links - these do not help you at all. You are going to have to spend some time searching your old posts and checking the links. There should be some Internet tools to help you do this and speed up the process.
- Quality not quantity - no matter where you live and work, quality is always better than quantity. Becoming an authority means less posting and better content when you do post.
Other Tips You Can Use To Boost Your Score
Some of these tips you probably have encountered before. But they do help boost your ranking even in domain authority circles. First there is your on site SEO optimization. Have everything up to date and meeting all SEO requirements.
Second, you need to watch your loading speed. This should include how fast your site loads on mobile devices as well. 3 seconds is the top wait time. Third, have a social media presence. It helps if your readers share your content on those sites.
Some Final Words
Domain authority is just another tool to determine how good you and your website really are. By making sure you meet the requirements, your ranking score should go up and give you a good Internet presence.
Let me know in the comments below your thoughts about domain authority.
Thank you for reading.