That is because technology continues to upgrade everything it can get its hands on. What was once thought to be state of the art back in the early days of affiliate marketing is now considered obsolete.
Technology changes the way people think as well. What was once considered a good SEO strategy, for example keyword stuffing, has given away to different SEO strategies designed to produce more traffic.
To stay on top of the affiliate marketing game, you need to stay on top of technology and see what it can and will do to the affiliate marketing business. This article explores the changes to help give you ideas on what to look for when technology makes yet another upgrade.
Before Creating This Website I Knew Nothing About Making Money Online
I owe all of my success to the community that taught me how it's actually done.
Some Old Strategies That Do Not Necessarily Work Anymore
One of the older affiliate marketing strategies that has seen better days is keyword stuffing. Algorithms have been changed and keywords are not as vital as they once were.
When affiliate marketing was new, keyword stuffing was the way to manipulate the rankings. Affiliates would place their keywords throughout the content, no matter if it ruined what was being said or not.
They also used keywords to be relevant to the topic discussed and other offenses. The idea was to get the ranking through the use of as many keywords as possible. How you did it was up to you.
While you got the traffic through this keyword overuse, the user experience was not that great. In fact, it was outright terrible. Website visitors did not want to read content that repeated the same keywords over and over.
After a few years of this strategy, different search engines decided to change their policies and constructed their algorithms to include the quality of the content. Keyword stuffing became a dinosaur even though it may still be used by some affiliate marketers today.
The modern affiliate marketing strategy in this case is to cut down on the keyword use and strive for great content.
The Demise Of Banner Ads
The early days of affiliate marketing was a little primitive. That was when the use of banner ads was extremely popular. An affiliate marketer placed a bunch of banner ads on their website and crossed their fingers hoping for the best.
This method worked for a little while until the website visitors got tired of all the banner ads they had to avoid in order to read the content.
There Was No Direct Tracking Technology
When affiliate marketing was young, direct tracking was non-existent. How to track sales was a complicated problem. As was setting up an affiliate network. The technology just hadn’t caught up with the new trend.
To develop any tracking in the early days of affiliate marketing, cost marketers a lot of money and time. Not many who tried were successful and quite a few marketers went out of business because there was no way to track sales.
Fortunately, enough people stuck it out and helped develop the tracking systems used today to make sure affiliate marketers get their fair share.
Today It Is All About Content
As search engines change their strategies, it makes affiliate marketing a little tougher. When the rules change, strategies have to change. One of the rules that changed was that content now mattered.
Before you could slap just about anything up on a web page and have people visit your site but today’s audience wants to get something in return for their time and their visit to your website.
That means that the affiliate marketer needs to produce great content. To be trusted they need to be seen as providing something valuable to their website visitors.
In fact, it is the content that has become one of the biggest marketing strategies and the way to make the most money.
Good content helps your visitors and potential customers gain trust in you and the products you represent. It also builds your reputation and a good reputation brings more business and more potential clients.
Some Good Content Strategies
When you write your content, you want to do it in a way that does not insult your visitor. You want them to easily understand what you have written while at the same time making sure you are not insulting their intelligence.
Here are some strategies you can use to make sure your content is at its best, its most informative and helps bring value to your potential customers:
- Do not Lie - with the Internet, people can fact check you very quickly. If they find out you are not telling the truth, then they will not be able to trust you. Be honest in your reviews and descriptions in order to build a solid reputation and keep your clients.
- Jeep the Content Relevant - how does the product help the lives of your readers? Is one question you should ask yourself as you write. Is the product something your readers want/ is another question you should be asking yourself. Being relevant lifts you up in the eyes of those who come to your website
- Make the Content Easy to Read - this does not mean you write in one syllable words or speak condescendingly to your readers. Just don’t get to technical and use simpler words that everyone understands. Also, write in paragraphs. One thing that turns a reader off is seeing one long paragraph of 1,000 words or more. Use bullet points and other tricks to make the content scannable.
- Be Yourself - when you write do not try to be someone you are not. You are not Hemingway so don’t write like him. Put the content in your own words according to who you are. Also be natural. Don’t force product promotion but find the right spot where it fits in naturally.
- Write About Popular Products - you will have a larger built-in audience of people who are already interested in the product. This makes sales a lot easier. Remember you are not selling to yourself. Your customers’ interests must come first. Also, you want to write about products that will benefit the lives of your customers.
- Use a Variety of Platforms - after you have written great content, you want people to read it. To do that use as many popular platforms as you can. Also, use different marketing strategies to make sure the word is getting out on your website and its content. These methods should help bring traffic to your door and create more sales.
How To Produce Good Content
Now that you know the importance of good content and that keyword and other archaic SEO strategies are not worth their weight in gold, here are some tips on how to create good content:
- Do Product Reviews - this strategy allows you to bring out all the good and bad points of any given product. It is said that roughly 90% of online readers trust product reviews. If you are honest, you can help your customers be realistic about the product and feel like they gained something valuable from visiting your website. This, in turn, helps you get more sales. Just do not be one sided but do be objective and informative.
- Product Comparisons - comparing products has been a staple of shopping ever since shopping was invented. Doing a product comparison helps your reader and potential customer to see which product gives them the most value for their dollar. You are helping your customer spend their money more wisely.
- Use Seasonal Content - the weather changes and by keeping up with those changes you are showing that you are on top of things and very relevant to the needs of your readers. It is also showing that you are thinking about your readers and do not just want their money.
- Vlogging - creating videos about your product can be very helpful. Your potential customers can see how something works, learn how to use one or assemble it and soon, this helps establish trust and helps you make a better connection to your website visitors. You must make sure that you are filming and producing top quality videos. Blurred, or other viewing issues only turns potential clients off and you will lose business as well as gain a bad reputation.
- Experiential Blogs - you can make a good connection with your visitors by writing about your experiences with the product. You can save your readers time and money by letting them know if a product actually works or not.
Some Final Words
The old affiliate marketing tools just do not cut it anymore. Time and technology has passed them by in favor of better tools. If you want to be a successful affiliate marketer, then you need to learn how to stay with the changing ideas.
Good content is the present way to make sure your affiliate marketing business is at its best and using the most up to date marketing tools available. All you need to do is follow the tips above to get a boost in your affiliate marketing methods.
Thank you for reading.